Department of Geology
Geology describes the structure of the Earth on and beneath its surface.
The Department of Geology, Utkal University was founded in 1954. The P.G. faculty of Geology, set up in 1956 is the oldest of its kind in Utkal University. From 1954 to 1977, it functioned within the campus of the Ravenshaw College, Cuttack in a massive building constructed out of generous funds contributed by the Kalinga Foundation, the Odisha State Government and the Ministry of Education, Govt. of India. In 1977, the P.G. teaching section was shifted to Vani Vihar at Bhubaneswar, the campus of the Utkal University. The present two-storied building of the department with a plinth area of 850 m2 was constructed out of U.G.C grant and financial contribution made by Orissa Mining Corporation and came into existence in 1983. The auditorium and the museum of the department have been renovated and furnished by the Alumni Association and Tata Steel respectively.