The Department of Psychology was established in 1953 at Ravenshaw College, Cuttack as an undergraduate Department by Prof. Radhanath Rath. It was upgraded to Post-Graduate Teaching and Research Department in 1958, and moved to Utkal University Campus at Vani Vihar, Bhubaneswar in 1962. In 1980, It was declared as a Centre of Advanced Study in Psychology (CASP) , the first such centre in Psychology in the country, and the only such centre in Odisha. Under the CAS programme, the Centre has blossomed and continued its efforts towards greater academic excellence and has tried to realize the proposed objectives approved by the successive Advisory Committees over the years. The department had the CAS status for long 29 years from 1980 to 2009.
To be among premier Centres of Advanced Study in Psychology through commitment and innovations in teaching, research, and community services.
To promote sensitivity, creativity and a spirit of scientific inquiry among students by stimulating deep insights into the discipline for fostering well-being at the individual level, and collective welfare in the society at large.
- Providing Quality Teaching
- Research (Theoretical/Applied/Interdisciplinary)
- Democratic governance (Department Teacher Council takes major decisions pertaining to the functioning of the department)
- Networking and collaboration (collaboration with foreign universities, Industry and NGOs)
- Extension activities (outreach programmes, SAMARTHYA , the disABILITY Centre, University Counselling Centre, Psycho-educational diagnostic centre, Mentoring, a Preschool that acts as a Demonstration and Research Centre for Early Education)