Name: Dr. Basanta Kumar Mallik
Designation: Professor & Head
Phone No.: +91 94374-98661
E-mail ID: basantakmallik(at)gmail(dot)com
- Social Movements in India
- Historical Theories
- Research Methodology
- History of Environment
- Ambedkar Studies Human Right Issues
- MPhil Guidance:
|Sl No||Name of the Scholar||Year of award of Degree||Topic of MPhil Thesis||Summary of the Research Outcome(In 100 Words)|
- PhD Guidance:
|Sl No||Name of the Scholar||Year of award of Degree||Registration No||Name of the Co-guide if any||Fellowship received if any during research||Topic of PhD Thesis||Summary of the Research Outcome(In 100 Words)
Journal Publications :
- International Publications:
- National Publications:
- Ambedkar on Indian Society and Politics, Mainstream, XXII, No.33, New Delhi, April 14, 1984.
Ambedkar on Economy and Planning, Mainstream, XXIII, No.33, April 13, 1985.
- Ambedkar on Women’s Progress, Mainstream, XXV, No.30, April 11, 1985.
Marx and Ambedkar-A Comparative Study, Mainstream, XXVI, No.28, April 13, 1988.
- Ambedkar on Constitution and National Integration, Mainstream, XXVII, No.29, April 15, 1989.
- Ambedkar and his Movement for Social Equality, Mainstream, XXIX, No.25, April 13, 1991.
- Ambedkar as a Builder of Modern India, Mainstream, XXX, No.25, April 1, 1992.
- Ambedkar and Buddhism, The Fourth World, 12, October 2000, Pp.61-69.
- Making the Regional Identity: Oriya Mahabharata as a Marker in Time, The Fourth World, 14, October 2001, Pp.20-32.
- Education and Identity: Some Issues on Social Development of Dalits, Mainstream Vol XXXVI, No.18, New Delhi, April 25, 1998.
- Cultural and Social Radicalism in Medieval Orissa, Economic and Political Weekly, XLVI,No 17,April 23,2011
- The Agricultural Technology in Medieval Orissa, Orissa Historical Research Journal
(OHRJ), Vol. XXXII, NO.1 & 2,1986, pp.126-147.
- Orissa and the British East India Company during 17th and 18th Centuries, OHRJ,
- Vol. XXXll, Nos.3 & 4,1987, pp.97-110.
- Some Aspects of Social Protest and Reform in Medieval Orissa, OHRJ, Vol. XXXIV,
- Nos. 3 & 4, 1989, pp.139-164.
- The Theory of Nurjahan Junta-A critical Appreciation, Research Bulletin, Vol. VII, S.C.S College, Puri, 1989.
- Trade and Transmissions in Early South Asia, Utkal Historical Research Journal
(UHRJ), Bhubaneswar, Vol VIII, 1997.
- Responsibility of Sri Chaitanya for the Decline of Medieval Orissa- An Examination, UHRJ, Bhubaneswar, Vol. IX, 1998.
- Social History: An Approach to the Inter-disciplinary Co-operation, Studies in History and Culture, Vol V, Nos. 1 & 2, March-September, 1997, pp.13-20.
- Culture and Economy of Temples of South India (cAD 900-1565), UHRJ, X, Bhubaneswar, 1998.
- Ambedkar, Gandhi and the Social Perspectives of lndian Nationalism, UHRJ, XI, Bhubaneswar, 1998.
- Agrarian Unrest in the Mughal North India during 17th Century, UHRJ, Vol. XVI, 2003, pp.31-39.
- The Pre-European Maritime Trade of India – An Overview, UHRJ, Vol. XVII, 2004, pp.59-66.
- Making the Indian Nation: Contribution of Dr. Babasaheb B. R. Ambedkar, UHRJ, Vol. XVIII, 2005, pp.111-120.
- Ambedkar and the New Social Order, The Political Science, II, 2007, pp. 16-21.
- Sarala Dasa’s Perception of Orissa History, The Journal of Orissan History, Vol. XXII, December, 2009, Pp. 167-171(ISSN: 2277-5560)
- Cultural and Social Radicalism in Medieval Odisha, Economic and Political Weekly, April 23, 2011; Vol. XLVI, No. 17 pp. 52-59.
- Intellectual Radicalism in Nineteenth Century Odisha, Journal of Odishan History, Vol. XXVIII, December 2015, pp. 20-28 (ISSN: 2277-5560).
- The Ranapur Rajavamsavali, Utkal Historical Research Journal, Vol No. XXVII, 2014. (Co-authored with Prof. Hermann Kulke, Germany)
- The Cult of Jagannatha, Secularism and the Egalitarian Order: A Critical Appraisal, Utkal Historical Research Journal, Vol No. XXVIII, 2015.
- From Dissent to Devotion: A Study on the Life and Contribution of Bhaktakavi Dasia, Utkal Historical Research Journal, Vol No. XXIX, 2016.
- Review Articles(State Level Publications):
Conference Publication(Presented/Published in proceedings):
- Presented/Published in proceedings:
- Society and Literature in Medieval Orissa (cAD 1450-1500), Proceedings of the Orissa History Congress, XXI Session, PG Department of History, Utkal University, Vani Vihar, Bhubaneswar, 1996.
- Concept of Social Justice: With reference to Dr. Babasaheb B. R. Ambedkar, Proceedings of Indian History Congress, (PIHC), 57th Session, University of Madras, Chennai, 1996.
- Protest and Dissent in Medieval Orissa: With reference to Saint-Poet Achyutananda Dasa, PIHC, 58th Session, Bangalore University, Bangalore, 1997.
- People’s Language and Literature: A Study on Sarala Mahabharata of Orissa (cAD 1450-1500), in PIHC, Kolkata Session, 2002.
- Emergence of the Sudra to Subaltern consciousness in Medieval Orissa, Proceedings of the Indian History Congress, Delhi Session, 2007.
- Edited Books :
- Medieval Orissa: Literature, Society, Economy, Mayur Publications, Bhubaneswar, 1996.
Paradigms of Dissent and Protest: Social Movements in Eastern India (circa 1400- 1700 AD), Manohar Publisher & Distributor, New Delhi, 2004.
- Text Books:
- India: Since Early Times to 800 AD (evolution of Ancient society) IGNOU, Bhubaneswr, 2007. (Translated and Edited)
- India: since early times to 800 AD (State Systems, society and economy) IGNOU, Bhubaneswar, 2007. (Translated and Edited)
- Social Science 1. National Institute of Open Schooling, Noida, 2008. (Translated and Edited)
- Social Science 2. National Institute of Open Schooling, Noida, 2008. (Translated and Edited)
- Odisha Itihasa, Aama Odisha, Bhubaneswr, 1st Edn. 2011, 2014.
- Edited Books:
- Eastern India: Essays in History, Society and Culture, Mayur Publications, Bhubaneswar, 2004.
- Dominance and Resistance in Indian History: with special reference to Odisha, DRS in History, Utkal University, Bhubaneswar, 2007.
- History, Culture and Economy, PG Department of History, Utkal University, Bhubaneswar, 2000, Co-editor.
- Sampradnyikata O Jatibad, Gabesana Chakra, Bhubaneswar,
- Bhimrao, PageMaker, Bhubaneswar, 2013
- Text Books :
- Book Chapters :
- Research Books :
- “National Seminar on Dalit Heritage”, held on April 9-10, 1988 at the Youth Hostel, Puri (Odisha).
- “National Seminar on Society, Culture and Polity in Pre-Colonial Eastern India”, held on March 24-25, 1999 at PG Dept. of History (SAP), Utkal University, Vani Vihar, Bhubaneswar.
- ‘Oriya Identity : Origin, Problems and Prospects’ at the PG Department of History, Utkal University, Vani Vihar, Bhubaneswar, on February 21-22, 2004.
- Local Secretary of the Orissa History Congress (26th Annual Session), held on November 6-7, 2004 at the Utkal University campus, Vani Vihar, Bhubaneswar.
- Course Coordinator of the sixth Refresher Course in History on ‘The New Trends on History and Culture of Eastern India’, during 10-31 March, 2005.
- Course Coordinator of the seventh Refresher Course in History on ‘New Trends in Indian Historiography’, during 3-23 December, 2005, in Utkal University.
- Course Coordinator of the Orientation Course Programme from 11th January 2006 to 7th February 2006 for the young college-teachers in from 11th January 2006 to 7th February 2006 the Academic Staff College, Utkal University.
- National Seminar on Dominance and Resistance in Indian History: with special reference to Orissa on 17-18 March 2007, PG Dept. of History, Utkal University, Vani Vihar, Bhubaneswar.
- National Seminar on ?Ambedkar and the Nation Building in India? 6-7 December, 2008
- National Seminar ?Democratic Governance and the Subaltern Leadership in India, 27-28 March, 2010 (Seminar Director)
- National Seminar on ?Re-Reading the Oriya Lakshmi Puran,? 17th August, 2010
- National Seminar on Dr, Ambedkar?s Vision and Mission: The Issues and Challenges? (4-5 Feb.2012)
Workshop on ?Social Justice and the Weaker Sections: The Problems and Prospects? (30.01.2012 to 12.02.2012: Two Weeks)
Research Methodology Workshop on Educational Status of the Scheduled Castes and Tribes in Eastern India. ICSSR Sponsored, held at Utkal University on 3-5 January 2013.
- ‘Parija Pencil’, a literary award from Ravenshaw College, Cuttack, in 1981.
- ‘Ambedkar Centenary Award from Bharatiya Dalit Sahitya Academy, Delhi in 1991.
- Received ICHR Fellowship for pursuing M. Phil and UGC Teacher Fellowship for Ph. D in JNU, New Delhi (1990-1992)
- ‘Best Essayist Award’ from National Institute of Social Work and Social Sciences, Bhubaneswar for the year 2004. e) Honored by Nalco Corporate SC/ST Employees Welfare Association on April 14, 2001.
- Important Activities:
- Research Projects Undertaken:
- Invited Lectures:
- Administrative/Executive experience:
- Conference organized as Organizing Secretary: